Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
At Uncommon, the visionary artist collective formerly known as Higher Steaks, we're seeking a brilliant Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to spearhead our ground–breaking mission. With an unwavering commitment to addressing global health challenges, our mission is to offer meat–eaters worldwide cultured proteins that surpass mere alternatives. By leveraging Nobel Prize–winning science and pioneering an RNA–powered strategy, Uncommon's team of over 50 exceptional scientists, engineers, and operators is forging the strongest path to revolutionising the food system. We have secured over $37M in funding from Balderton, Lowercarbon Capital, RedAlpine, Sam Altman (Open AI founder) and Max Altman (through Apollo Projects), Planthesis (Miray Zaki and Sebastiano Castiglioni) as well as other incredible investors.
We are growing rapidly again this year so this is a great time to join us and solve one of the most important challenges we face today!
With many impressive technical milestones achieved and the opening of our state–of–the–art pilot facility, now is the ideal time to bring on a visionary CTO who can lead technological advancements, scale production, optimise bioprocesses, and ensure cost efficiency. As a CTO you will work closely with our CEO, CSO and COO on delivering to push us closer to market.
Your responsibilities will include direct management and leadership of the following areas: bioprocessing, pilot & manufacturing, lab operations, regulatory compliance, health and safety, and quality assurance.
You will also collaborate closely with our CSO on tasks such as cell line development, media development, molecular biology, and quality control.
Furthermore, your insights and expertise will be invaluable as you collaborate with our COO and CEO on aspects including go–to–market strategy, marketing, partnerships, people, project management, supply chain, and fundraising.
What you'll be doing
Strategy and execution
- Develop and execute the overall technology roadmap of what it really takes to bring our state–of–the–art technologies to scale in a profitable manner, fast!
- With the bioprocessing, pilot and manufacturing teams, you will pave the path of how we speed up our process, increase cell densities and automate. You will create scale–up and scale–down models so we can ensure a smooth path to commercialisation.
- You will define when is the right moment to move processes to regulatory approval and how to ensure compliance with relevant regulations and standards in the field of cultivated meat production
- You will ensure that we maintain high product and operational quality and safety.
- Act as a high–level system architect, ensuring our future needs are translated to lower–level requirements.
- Manage intellectual property strategy, including patent filings and protection of Uncommon's proprietary technology.
Alignment and coordination with the rest of the team
- Coordinating with R&D, external collaborators and the commercial side to ensure timeline alignment and milestone achievements.
- Build and manage a high–performing, interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and technologists with a wide range of expertise.
- Lead the team into embracing our values by making sure they deeply care by fostering empathy and a commitment to improving global health, encouraging restless creativity by nurturing a culture of curiosity and out–of–the–box thinking, promoting conscious resilience through a positive attitude and perseverance in the face of challenges, and inspiring urgent daring by encouraging calculated risks and bold ideas that challenge the status quo in the food industry.
What we think you need:
- Experience in bringing a highly complex physical product from prototype/R&D to large–scale production
- Demonstrated expertise in process optimisation, automation and technology implementation
- Experience working with multiple external collaborators
- Excellent analytical and problem–solving skills
- Strong strategic thinking and business understanding, with the ability to translate technological advancements and goals into tangible business value.
- Excellent leadership skills with experience in managing and mentoring interdisciplinary teams.
- Outstanding communication and presentation abilities, with the capability to effectively communicate complex scientific concepts to diverse audiences.
We would love it if you also had:
- Experience in industrial biotechnology or other industries where cost was a big factor
- Knowledge of the cellular agriculture industry
- Experience in the food or beverage industry
Alongside a competitive base salary, all our people get these benefits:
28 days annual leave
Enhanced parental leave pay
"Make your work life easier" annual stipend
Regular team dinners and social activities
Snacks, fruits, tea, coffee and more!
Uncommon recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status as required by applicable law. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and Uncommon retains the discretion to modify.
Let's recruit together and find your next colleague.